Friday, March 27, 2009

No Alarms And No Surprises, Please

Yeah yeah... garage punk and stuff. Fuzzboxes and Fenders. My friends often think they have me all stitched up as far as "What Mike likes". So I wanna throw a wrench in that machine, and somehow fess up to myself, as well. In the interest of full disclosure, ladies and gentlemen, here's a list of unexpected favorites, guilty pleasures, and shameful secrets that I'm sick of hiding.

1. The guitar tone on Lenny Kravitz' "Are You Gonna Go My Way" is almost perfect, and I would love to figure out how I could replicate it. If I could, it would probably be the only tone I'd ever use again.

2. I own every Wu-Tang Clan album, and every solo album by the nine primary members. And a bunch of compilations of related tracks. And some mixtapes.

3. I like to relax to Mazzy Star more often than anyone this side of 1995.

4. Post-'95 Prince. 'Nuff said.

5. For all my talk of being born-again in the waters of punk rock in high school, my college years taught me that I'm probably never going to shake my affinity for Black Sabbath & Led Zeppelin (Sab more than Zeb, though).

6. Even though this is about loves, I still hate the Doors. Everything about them.

7. Kevin got me into Thin Lizzy and now I can't get out. And I don't wanna.

8. I used to go for power walks to the tune of Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You Outta My Head", which I'm still convinced is a perfect pop song, whatever it's other merits may or may not be.

9. While it was a gift, I do in fact own that Eiffel 65 album. Remember them? That "Blue" song?

10. I know the Spin Doctors' Pocket Full Of Kryptonite album so well that I do that "wooow, deedle diddle wooooowwwww" sing-along thing to the guitar solos, cause I know how all of them go. And I still think that's a pretty good pop album.

11. Oasis.

12. It's been long enough since I've listened to them that my feelings may have changed, but I used to own multiple albums by the Verve Pipe. What are the cosmic repercussions of that?

13. There is nothing wrong with my loving the first five Cheap Trick albums, which are stone-cold power pop classics. There is, however, something wrong with my loving the next five as well.

14. Is Katy Perry's "I Kissed A Girl" far enough removed from the charts for it to be considered a guilty pleasure? I mean, that Goldfrapp song that it ripped off is, so I'm gonna list it.

15. When packing up my CD collection when we were last moving, there were two different CD copies of Bell Biv DeVoe's Poison. That's a GOOD album!

16. My love for mid-90's alterna-rock is well established, so let's just get the ones that I couldn't really argue in favor of out of the way: Veruca Salt, the first Bush album, Mother Love Bone, Silverchair, Filter, Soup Dragons, Imperial Drag. These among many others have been played, willingly, in my home within the bast 6 months. [The Gin Blossoms, Presidents of the USA, Urge Overkill, and The Figgs are all safe, as I can objectively say that they're really good albums.]

17. When I moved to Boston, I had to leave about 90% of my very large CD collection at my folks' place, taking only "the essentials", i.e., the CDs that I felt I really needed the physical copy of, for which high-quality MP3s would not suffice. I had 4 albums and a six-disc box set by The Cult among those 300 CDs.

18. I like David Bowie. No, no, you misunderstand. Of course I like Ziggy & Berlin-era Bowie, but I'm talking about post-Scary Monsters, pre-Outside David Bowie.

19. Sometimes, when I'm doing dishes, I like to dance and sing along to Kraftwerk's The Man Machine. There's nothing shameful about the Kraftwerk, more about the dancing.

20. Madonna's first two albums. I'm not ashamed, but I do feel guilty about it.

21. I will always love The Prodigy Experience, and to a lesser degree, their next three albums.

1 comment:

  1. i bought the katy perry album for that song and the other single (i feel dirty, because she's an idiot - i mean, "ur so gay"? really?). i've been listening to lots of pop lately. it's like crack. and it was cheap. some days i wonder what has brought me to this point? why do i own all of kelly clarkson's albums? i've been all about the guilty pleasure stuff lately. i think it has a lot to do with the fact that i'm running again. try jogging to minor threat some time. your heart will explode. i've been hooked on the ultra records comps, too. weird.

    ReplyDelete